Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Alex is officially ours!

Alex continues to amaze me. He has not shed one tear or seemed at all concerned about being here with us strangers who don’t even know how to talk to him. The poor kid is, however, chatting up people in the lobby and the hotel restaurant just to have a conversation!

Last night he went to bed with no problem at all. He initially balked at the idea of bed (he was having too much fun with the iPad and my camera) but when I pulled out the Cars pajamas he changed his mind. I held them up and he pointed a finger at his chest to ask, “For me?” when I said yes he grinned and happily changed, brushed his teeth and snuggled into bed next to Caroline.


We all went to sleep around 9. I was awake again before 3 a.m. (of course) and Caroline and Alex woke up around 4:30. Leah slept until we started Facetiming family members around 5.

Alex put a serious dent in our snack supply in the early morning hours, then we headed to the restaurant where he ate plenty more! I have to say his orphanage has him well trained. As soon as he finished using a plate or glass he would stand up and take it straight to one of the wait staff. If that would just translate to putting his dirty dishes in the dishwasher at home, I would be a very happy mom!

Today we went back to the Guangdong adoption center, where I officially agreed to never abandon, abuse or discriminate against Alex. As if! Then I had to go before a notary who asked me all kinds of questions about why on earth I wanted a third child when I already had two. He asked to have the girls come into the office with me to meet them, and asked them if they were happy. He quizzed me about how long I am away from home every day (easy answer, since I work at home!) and who is available to help me when I need help. Our facilitator had warned me that this guy asked all kind of inappropriate questions, so I just answered and got through it all. It’s not like I’m ever going to see him again!

On the way there Alex was chatting with Richard, asking where we were going and when we were going to the United States!

We went shopping at Tesco, a sort of British Walmart. We made Alex ride in the cart to keep his hands off everything he saw and wanted – which was just about everything edible! We bought a nice selection of snack items and noodle bowls, which thrilled him. We also bought an inflatable mattress to use for the rest of our stay. We’ll leave it with Richard for other families who follow us to Guangzhou.

When we came back he chowed down on a bowl of noodles, then we all agreed it was time for a nap. The only problem was that he quickly decided, like any kid, that while he needed the nap he did not WANT it. We spent probably half an hour trying to get him to stay lying down! But he finally did go to sleep, and snored away for more than an hour and a half.

Now I think we’ll put that surplus of boy energy to use blowing up the mattress!

2 comments:

  1. Oh he is cute!! Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boys are so fun and so loving to their moms! And yes, they do LOVE to eat...that's coming from a mom of 5 boys...lol. So happy you are together and all is going well!

    ReplyDelete