It is just one small step of many in this very long process, but it's one that I at least had some control over. Last night our social worker, Kerry, came to the house for our first of four required meetings for the home study. I was able to hand over to her almost all of the required paperwork. It took us about an hour just to do the handoff of everything, double-check that it was completed as required, and get it checked off on her list.
I'm just waiting for a few documents to arrive in the mail, and need to complete a 12-hour DVD adoption parenting course and read and write a short report on a second adoption book. We'll need to set up three more brief get-togethers, either here or in Delaware where Kerry is, to satisfy China's home study requirements.
Thank goodness Kerry has her own large dog who likes to jump on people, so she was not at all unnerved by our menagerie. Apparently a few dogs and cats also come in to work at the adoption agency. I knew there was another reason we chose Madison Adoption Associates! The cats participated in the home visit by continually jumping up on the table to sit on the paperwork and play with the tassels on Kerry's purse. Our dogs thought she was wonderful and wanted to give lots of kisses. Kerry especially liked the dog we are fostering for a rescue group, and said her family is thinking about a second dog. I promised to deliver whenever they are ready!
We did a very quick tour of the house. Kerry said sometimes she does a home visit and can't quite believe that kids live there. Fortunately the girls' rooms were outstanding proof that indeed, messy and busy kids do live here.
It feels good to be one small step closer to bringing our little boy home.
No comments:
Post a Comment